Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Megan and the Mountain - Thanksgiving Day

Content by Megan

I feel like I am drinking a piece of heaven. I inhale the rich mocha smell and let the warm liquid hit my lips. This is the best hot chocolate that I have ever tasted. Made fresh this morning from fresh cocoa beans picked yesterday. The rest of my team sits quietly in the cafe, discussing what our day is going to be like, while I bask in this cup of pure lust.

Our team leader Tim, informs us that we will not be building until tomorrow morning. I am some what relieved due to my roommate not getting to sleep until 3 hours ago. "Today we will hike to volcano!" Everyone groans but me! I throw my fist into the air and say "yes!" My team looks at me puzzled and I just blush.

We pile on to a small bus and drive 2 hours into the small village at the base of the volcano. I get out and smell dust and sulfer.
"Chica, cavallo?!! Good price for you!" A young boy hands me a rope with a very thin horse at the end in the hopes that I will rent the horse for the ride. My heart aches for this poor animal. He is old, starving and lame. "No, gracias" I reply and pat the horse's forehead. He looks at me as if I am to save him and my heart burns again.

The team buys water and snacks. I get a kick out of the fact the local village sells Cheetos. I take in my surroundings. There are too many chickens, roosters and dogs running around. They all look unhealthy. There is volcano dust on everything. The cars have it. The people have it. The horses have it. I squat down and call "Ola! Perro!!" and extend my hand to a small chestnut dog. She wags her tail and slinks over. She snuggles into my leg and closes her eyes in comfort. I think how can I fit this dog into my purse.

The guide yells and we make our way up the base of the volcano. 7500 feet up. Straight up. My calves are burning, my brow is covered in sweat and I am now also covered in volcano dust.  I head to the front of the group and yell back encouraging words.
We stop and I finally look up from the trail. My breath leaves my lungs and I get tears in my eyes. This view is nothing that I have ever seen before. I see lush green trees and more land than my eye can take in. I see a volcano actually smoking. I see a village with tin roofs. Brand new roofs from the recent eruption in the Spring. I also see the small chestnut dog following me up the hill. She sees me and wags her tail. I call her Perro again and she runs to my feet. "Ola, Perro" and I pet her forehead. She and I are not on this adventure together.

As we approach the top, I see the land smoking and the heat escaping from the rocks. I cannot get over this heat. Perro is still tagging along and  it makes me smile. I stop constantly and take pictures of how beautiful this world is. I sigh and thank the heavens again for giving me this. 


We stop at the top and a bag of marshmallows is open. We take a small stick and roast marshmallows on lava. I am amazed by this - but Perro just sleeps by the heat and I rub her belly.


This is way a house build should begin.



1 comment:

  1. Just making sure you are all strong for thr build! Teamwork and tenacity go a long way tgether and meeting the local people fills your heart with your mission...loving your bog! I sure hoe Dan was not one who turned back!!! Say hi to him plase from Darlene

    ReplyDelete